We’ve made a few adjustments to the calendar I’m excited to share with you. (All changes are now reflected on the online/google calendar.)
The biggest change is that we have accepted an invitation to perform at Prairie Colors at Eden Prairie High School on Saturday, September 12. For many of us, this will be the first time we have ever performed with Minnesota Brass after DCA finals. (For many years this was common practice and part of the corps schedule! Ask our long-term vets for details.) We accepted this invitation for several reasons. First, it’s an opportunity to for us to play for hundreds of future potential members marching with some of the state’s very best marching bands. Secondly, it’s an opportunity to for us to perform locally when our show is at its very best. I know this schedule change may be a challenge for several of you. It’s a long season and you may have school obligations. However, I think it’s a wonderful opportunity for us to celebrate the end of our year at home, help strengthen our recruiting efforts for the future and have a lot of fun together. Please do all you can to free your calendar during the day on Saturday, September 12.
Other updates to the calendar include:
• We will have sectionals on Sunday, July 12 the day after DCI Minnesota from 12 – 4 p.m. This was previously listed as a HOLD or Tentative on your calendar. I decided to use this time since we have an incredible opportunity for our hornline to work with Clinician Daniel Galloway that day (see details below)
• Camp July 25/26 will be at Northdale Middle School
• Rehearsal July 31 before the St. Paul DCI show will be at Brooklyn Center High School
• Friday, August 21 has been reduced to a 12 p.m. start rather than all day. Rehearsal in the afternoon will be at the show site—St. Thomas Academy in Mendota Heights
• Our traditional truck potluck (usually held the Wednesday after finals) will move to Saturday, September 12—after our performance at Prairie Colors. We will perform in the afternoon and then go to a nearby park for a potluck/picnic/fun celebration.
Daniel Galloway to Make our DCI Minnesota Even More Awesome
DCI Minnesota is our biggest local show and provides an opportunity for thousands of Minnesota drum corps fans to see Minnesota Brass live. It’s a chance for us to perform with the world’s best full-time corps and showcase what we can do. It’s always a highlight of our season.
This year, our DCI Minnesota experience will feature an additional bonus as our hornline will be working with a long-time DCI brass instructor and future judge, Daniel Galloway. Daniel was on staff with the Spirit from JSU as a visual instructor in 2006 and assistant visual caption head in 2007/2008. He then spent two years on the horn staff with the Bluecoats Drum and Bugle Corps. In 2012 he joined the brass staff of the Santa Clara Vanguard. He is currently in the process of becoming a judge for DCI and will be spending the weekend in Minneapolis working with the Blue Devils and providing critique tapes at the DCI Minnesota Show.
We will be welcoming Daniel to Minnesota Brass on Friday night during rehearsal at Irondale. He’ll be making a tape for us during our performance on Saturday and then have an opportunity to work with the hornline section on Sunday, July 12.
All sections will have a sectional on July 12 from 12 -4 p.m. and we will use this opportunity to get even better. I hope you’re as excited as I am!